It is unfortunate that most non-Muslims are unaware of the
Muslim belief regarding Jesus and Mary. Indeed they may be shocked when they
come to know it. In explaining our beliefs, we will translate the meaning of the
Quranic verses which speak about Jesus and Mary. This approach, which employs
the primary source of Islam, ensures accuracy in conveying our beliefs about them. The Quran is the great foundation of belief for Muslims in every time and
To make for easier reading, we have used the English
equivalents for the names of Jesus and Mary (i.e. their names in the language of
the Quran are "'Eesa" and "Maryam" respectively). Also,
there are some Arabic words that do not have English equivalents, so we retained
the transliterated word followed by their English meaning in brackets. No
translation is exact, but we have tried to adhere as closely as possible to the
original Arabic in which Allah revealed the Quran to His Messenger Muhammad .
(Remember) when the wife of 'Imr‚n (Mary's mother) said, "O' my Lord! I
vow to You that which is in my womb to be dedicated for Your service, (free from
all worldly work; to serve Your Place of worship) so accept this from me.
Verily, You are the All-Hearing, the All-Knowing."
36. Then when she delivered her (Mary), she said, "O' my
Lord! I have delivered a female child," - and Allah knew better what she
had delivered, - "And the male is not like the female (in temple serving), and I have named her
Mary, and I seek refuge for her with You (Allah) and for her offspring from
Satan, the outcast."
37. So her Lord (Allah) accepted her (Mary) with a goodly
acceptance. He caused her to grow in a good manner and placed her under the care
of Zakariy‚ (Zachariya). Every time he entered Al-Mihr‚b (her praying room) to
(visit) her, he found her supplied with sustenance. He said, "O' Mary! From
where have you gotten this?" She said, "This is from Allah. Verily,
Allah provides sustenance to whom He wills, without limit."
42. And (remember) when the angels said, "O' Mary!
Verily, Allah has chosen you, purified you (from polytheism and disbelief), and
chosen you above the women of the universe."
43. "O' Mary! Submit yourself in obedience to your Lord
(Allah, by worshipping none but Him Alone) and prostrate yourself, and bow down
along with those who bow down."
44. This is a part of the news of the unseen with which We
inspire you (O' Muhammad). You were not with them, when they cast lots with
their pens as to which of them should be charged with the care of Mary; nor were
you with them when they disputed.
45. (Remember) when the angels said, "O' Mary! Verily,
Allah gives you the glad tidings of a Word ["Be!" - and Jesus was]
from Him, his name will be the Messiah Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honor in
this world and in the Hereafter, and will be one of those who are near to
46. "He will speak to the people in the cradle and in
extreme old-age( i.e. when he returns to this world), and he will be one of the
47. She said, "O' my Lord! How shall I have a son when
no man has touched me?" He said, "So (it will be) for Allah creates
what He wills. When He has decreed something, He says to it only,
"Be!" and it is.
16. And mention in the Book (the Quran, O' Muhammad, the
story of) Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a secluded place facing
17. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then
We sent to her Our Spirit (Angel Gabriel), and he appeared before her in the
form of a man in all respects.
18. She said, "Verily! I seek refuge with the Most
Beneficent (Allah) from you, if you do fear Allah."
19. (The Angel) said, "I am only a Messenger from your
Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son."
20. She said, "How can I have a son, when no man has
touched me, nor am I unchaste?"
21. He said, "So (it will be), your Lord said, 'That is
easy for Me (Allah): And (We want) to appoint him as a sign to mankind and a
Mercy from Us (Allah), and it is a matter (already) decreed, (by Allah).' "
22. So she conceived him, and she withdrew with him to a far
place (i.e. Bethlehem Valley approx. 4-6 miles from Jerusalem).
23. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a
date-palm. She said, "Would that I had died before this, and had been
forgotten and out of sight!"
24. Then he cried unto her from below her, saying,
"Grieve not! Your Lord has provided a stream of water under you."
25. "And shake the trunk of the date-palm towards you,
it will let to fall upon you fresh ripe dates."
26. "So eat and drink and be glad, and if you see any
human being, say: 'Verily! I have vowed a fast unto the Most Beneficent (Allah)
so, this day, I shall not speak to any human.'"
27. Then she brought him (the baby) to her people, carrying
him. They said, "O' Mary! Indeed you have brought a thing 'Fariya' (an
unheard, mighty thing)."
28. "O' sister (i.e. the like) of Aaron [a pious man at
the time of Mary (not the brother of Moses)]! Your father was not a man who used
to commit adultery, nor was your mother an unchaste woman."
29. Then she pointed to him. They said: "How can we talk
to one who is a child in the cradle? "
30. "He (Jesus) said: Verily! I am a servant of Allah,
He has given me the Scripture and made me a Prophet;"
31. "And He has made me blessed wheresoever I be, and
has enjoined on me prayer, and charity, as long as I live."
32. "And (made me) dutiful to my mother, and did not
make me arrogant, unblest.
33. "And peace be upon me the day I was born, and the
day I die, and the day I shall be raised alive!"
34. Such is Jesus, son of Mary. (it is) a statement of truth,
about which they doubt (or dispute).
35. It befits not (the Majesty of) Allah that He should beget
a son. Glorified (and Exalted be He above all that they associate with Him).
When He decrees a thing, He only says to it, "Be!" and it is.
36. (Jesus) said: "And verily Allah is my Lord and your
Lord. So worship Him (Alone). That is the Straight Path (Allah's Religion of
Islamic Monotheism which He did ordain for all of His Prophets)."
37. Then the sects differed [i.e. the Christians about Jesus]
so woe unto the disbelievers [those who gave false witness by saying that Jesus
is the son of Allah] from the meeting of a Great Day.
38. How clearly will they (polytheists and disbelievers in
the Oneness of Allah) see and hear, the Day when they will appear before Us! But
the ZalimŻn (polytheists and wrong-doers) today are in plain error.
39. And warn them (O' Muhammad ) of the Day of grief and
regrets, when the case has been decided, while (now) they are in a state of
carelessness, and they believe not.
40. Verily! We will inherit the earth and whatsoever is upon
it. And to Us they shall all be returned.
48. And He (Allah) will teach him [Jesus] the Book and the
Wisdom, (and) the Torah and the Gospel.
49. And will make him (Jesus) a Messenger to the Children of
Israel (saying): "I have come to you with a sign from your Lord (Allah),
that I fashion for you out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, and
breathe into it, and it becomes a bird by Allah's Leave; and I heal the blind
one, and the leper, and I bring the dead to life by Allah's Leave. And I inform
you of what you eat, and what you store in your houses. Surely, therein is a
Sign for you, if you believe.
50. And I have come confirming what was before me of the
Torah, and to make lawful to you part of what was forbidden to you, and I have
come to you with a proof from your Lord. So fear Allah and obey me.
51. Truly! Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him
(Alone). This is the Straight Path.
52. Then when Jesus came to know of their disbelief, he said:
"Who will be my Helpers in Allah's Cause?" the Disciples said:
"We are the Helpers of Allah; we believe in Allah, and bear witness that we
are Muslims (we are submitting our selves to Allah)."
53. Our Lord! We believe in what You have sent down, and we
follow the Messenger (Jesus); so write us down among those who bear witness (to
the truth i.e. L‚ il‚ha ill-Allah - none has the right to be worshipped except
54. And they (the disbelievers) plotted (to kill Jesus) but
Allah also planned. And Allah is the Best of the planners.
55. And (remember) when Allah said: "O' Jesus! I will
take you and raise you to Myself and clear you (of the forged statement that
Jesus is Allah's son) of those who disbelieve, and I will make those who follow
you (the Monotheists, who worship none except Allah) superior to those who
disbelieve until the Day of Resurrection. Then you (all) will return to Me and I
will judge between you in the matters in which you used to dispute."
56. "As for those who disbelieve, I will punish them
with a severe torment in this world and in the Hereafter, and they will have no
57. And as for those who believe (in the Oneness of Allah)
and do righteous good deeds, Allah will pay them their reward in full. And Allah
does not like the ZalimŻn (polytheists and wrong-doers).
58. This is what We recite to you (O' Muhammad ) of the
Verses and the Wise Reminder (the Quran).
110. And when Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection).
"O' Jesus, son of Mary! Recall My Favor upon you and upon your mother when
I supported you with the Holy Spirit (Gabriel) so that you spoke to the people
in the cradle and in old age (thousands of years); and when I taught you
writing, the Wisdom, the Torah and the Gospel; and when you made out of clay, as
it were, the figure of a bird, by My Permission, and you breathed into it, and
it became a bird by My Permission, and you healed the blind, and the lepers by
My Permission, and when you brought forth the dead by My Permission; and when I
restrained the Children of Israel from you (when they resolved to kill you)
since you came unto them with clear proofs, and the disbelievers among them
said: 'This is nothing but evident magic.' "
111. And when I (Allah) put in the hearts of the Disciples
(of Jesus) to believe in Me and My Messenger, they said: "We believe. And
bear witness that we are Muslims (we submit ourselves to Allah)."
112. (Remember) when the Disciples said: "O' Jesus, son
of Mary! Can your Lord send down to us a table spread (with food) from
heaven?" Jesus said: "Fear Allah, if you are indeed believers."
113. They said: "We wish to eat thereof and to be
stronger in Faith, and to know that you have indeed told us the truth and that
we ourselves be its witnesses."
114. Jesus, son of Mary, said: "O' Allah, our Lord! Send
down to us from heaven a table spread (with food) that there may be for us - for
the first and the last of us - a festival and a sign from You; and provide us
sustenance, for You are the Best of sustainers."
115. Allah said: "I am going to send it down unto you,
but if any of you after that disbelieves, then I will punish him with a torment
such as I have not inflicted on anyone among (all) the universe."
156. And because of their disbelief (the Jews) and their
uttering against Mary a grave false charge (that she had committed adultery).
157. And because of their saying (in boast), "We killed
the Messiah Jesus, son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah," - but they killed
him not, nor crucified him, but the resemblance of Jesus was put over another
man (and they killed that man - Judas), and those who differ therein are full of
doubts. They have no (certain) knowledge concerning it, they follow nothing but
conjecture. For surely; they killed him not (i.e. Jesus, son of Mary).
158. But Allah raised him (Jesus) up (his body and soul) unto
Himself (and he is in the heavens). And Allah is Ever AllĖPowerful, AllĖWise.
159. And there is none of the people of the Scripture (Jews
and Christians), but must believe in him (Jesus, son of Mary, as only a
Messenger of Allah and a human being), before his death. And on the Day of
Resurrection, he (Jesus) will be a witness against them.
116. And when Allah will say (on the Day of Resurrection):
"O' Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say unto men: 'Worship me and my mother as
two gods besides Allah?' " He will say: "Glory be to You! It was not
for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would
surely have known it. You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know
what is in Yours, truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of the unseen.
117. "Never did I say to them except that which You
(Allah) did command me to say: 'Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.' And I was
a witness over them while I was among them, but when You took me up, You were
the Watcher over them, and You are a Witness to all things.
118. "If You punish them, they are Your slaves, and if
You forgive them, verily You, only You are the All-Mighty, the All-Wise."
119. Allah will say: "On this Day, the truthful will
profit from their truth: theirs are Gardens under which rivers flow (in
Paradise) - they shall abide therein forever. Allah is pleased with them and
they with Him. That is the great success.
120. To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the
earth and all therein, and He is Able to do all things.
36. [Jesus said]: "And verily Allah is my Lord and your
Lord. So worship Him (Alone). That is the Straight Path. (Allah's Religion of
Islamic Monotheism which He did ordain for all of His Prophets)."
59. Verily, the likeness of Jesus in the sight of Allah is
the likeness of Adam. He created him from dust, then (He) said to him:
"Be!" - and he was.
75. The Messiah (Jesus), son of Mary, was only a Messenger;
many were the Messengers that passed away before him. His mother (Mary) was a
believer. They both used to eat food (as any other human being, while Allah does
not eat). Look how We make the Ay‚t (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs,
revelations, etc.) clear to them, yet look how they are deluded away (from the
76. Say (O' Muhammad to mankind): "How do you worship,
along with Allah, something which has neither power to harm nor benefit you? But
it is Allah Who is All-Hearing, All-Knowing."
172. The Messiah was never proud to reject servitude to
Allah, nor were the angels who are near (to Allah). And whosoever rejects His
(Allah's) worship and is proud, then He (Allah) will gather them all unto
Himself (to give them their recompense).
The prophets are brothers - their mothers are different but
their creed is one. I am the closest one among the people to Jesus son of Mary,
because there was no prophet between He and I. He will be coming down, so when
you see him, know him. He is a man between red and white (in color). He wears
two reddish dresses. His head will appear to be sweating, even though it will
not be wet. He will break the cross and kill the pig, and put down the Jizyah
(a tax levied on the disbelievers) [Jesus (peace be upon him) won't accept Jizyah from disbelievers, they should believe in him or die]. He will call
the people to Islam, and during his era, all religions except Islam will perish.
During his era, the anti-Christ will die. Then the earth will experience peace,
to the extent that you will see lions grazing with the camels, and tigers with
the cows, and wolves with the sheep. Children will play with snakes and not be
harmed by them. He (Jesus) will stay for forty years and then die. Then, the
Muslims will pray over him (a funeral prayer).
82. ... And you will find those nearest among men in love to
the believers (Muslims) those who say : "We are Christians." That is
because amongst them are priests and monks, and they are not arrogant.
83. And when they (who call themselves Christians) listen to
what has been sent down to the Messenger (Muhammad ), you see their eyes
overflowing with tears because of the Truth which they have recognized. They
say: "Our Lord! We believe; so record us among the witnesses.
84. "And why should we not believe in Allah and in that
which has come to us of the Truth (Pure and true monotheism)? And we wish that
our Lord will admit us (in Paradise on the Day of Resurrection) along with the
85. So because of what they said, Allah rewarded them Gardens
under which rivers flow (in Paradise), they will abide therein forever. Such is
the reward of good-doers.
86. But those who disbelieved and belied Our Ay‚t (proofs,
evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they shall be the
dwellers of the (Hell) Fire.
15. O' People of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has
come to you Our Messenger (Muhammad) explaining to you much of what you used to
hide from the Scripture and passing over much (i.e. without explaining it).
Indeed, there has come to you from Allah a Light (Prophet Muhammad) and a Plain
Book (the Quran).
16. Wherewith Allah guides all those who seek His Good
Pleasure to ways of peace, and He brings them out of darkness by His Will unto
light and guides them to a Straight Way (Pure and true monotheism).
17. Surely, in disbelief are those who say that Allah is the
Messiah, son of Mary. Say (O' Muhammad): "Who then has the least power
against Allah, if He were to destroy the Messiah, son of Mary, his mother, and
all those who are on the earth altogether?" And to Allah belongs the
dominion of the heavens and the earth, and all that is between them. He creates
what He wills. And Allah is Able to do all things.
18. And (both) the Jews and the Christians say: "We are
the children of Allah and His beloved ones." Say: "Why then does He
punish you for your sins?" Nay, you are just human beings, of those He has
created, He forgives whom He wills and He punishes whom He wills. And to Allah
belongs the Dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them,
and to Him is the return (of all).
72. Surely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the
Messiah (Jesus), son of Mary." But the Messiah (Jesus) said: "O'
Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Verily,
whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden
Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the ZalimŻn (polytheists and wrongdoers) there are no helpers.
73. Surely, they have disbelieve who said: "Allah is the
third of three (in a Trinity)." But there is no god (none who has the right
to be worshipped) but One God (Allah). And if they do not desist from their
saying, verily, a painful torment will befall the disbelievers among them.
74. Will they not repent to Allah and ask His Forgiveness?
For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
64. Say (O' Muhammad): "O' people of the Scripture (Jews
and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship
none except Allah, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of
us shall take others as lords besides Allah. Then, if they turn away, say:
"Bear witness that we are Muslims (we are submitting ourselves to
Go back to the Main Page
If you have any questions or comments please click this image: